Hakuoh University in Oyama City, Tochigi Prefecture, 50 miles north of Tokyo, offers a ten-day summer homestay program to seven UHCC students (one per campus if possible) who have demonstrated leadership in their community and/or school and want to learn first-hand about Japan and Japanese culture. Students selected for the program will engage in intercultural activities with Hakuoh students, study Japanese culture, visit historical sites, and present a capstone project that reflects the participant’s experience in serving his/her community and/or school. Participants are required to do daily oral and written guided reflections and submit a culminating paper one week upon return from Japan. Also, participants are expected to serve as a campus host and participate in activities with Hakuoh University students when they come to Hawai‘i for their study tours.
Dates: June 17 – June 28, 2010 (tentative dates)
- U.S. citizenship at the time of application
- Hawai`i resident at the time of application
- Minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA at the time of application
- As determined by your resume, personal statement and recommendations:
- Demonstrated involvement in campus-based service (e.g., student council, organizations, etc.), service-learning, and/or community activities while in college.
- Strong interest in learning about Japan and Japanese culture. Students who have not had previous studying/living/extensive travel experience abroad will be given priority.
- Ability and willingness to serve as campus host and participate in all Hakuoh activities in Hawai‘i.
- Plan of how you will use this experience upon returning to Hawai‘i.
- Two (2) completed Recommendation Forms from UH Community Colleges faculty members, staff, administrators, or professional references (form provided).
***If selected as a finalist, you will be contacted for an interview by Tuesday, April 13, 2010***
If selected as a participant, $250 refundable deposit required (check or money order to be applied to airfare)
$500 round-trip airfare is subsidized by the UHCC, Hakuoh University pays for all lodging and ground transportation, and 70%-80% of meals. Students are responsible for remainder of the airfare, 20%-30% of meals, and all personal expenses (including up to $180 for passport).
How to apply: Complete the following materials and mail to address below.
- Application Form available online at uhcc.hawaii.edu/getting_started/outsideUS.php
- Personal Statement (maximum 500 words)
- Copy of college/university transcript(s) (upon selection, official transcripts will be required)
- Two (2) completed Recommendation Forms (use form provided), sealed or mailed directly by reference
- $20 refundable deposit to be submitted with application (check or money order; applied to airfare if selected)
MAIL ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS TO (must be postmarked by THURSDAY, APRIL 1, 2010):
Office of the Vice President for Community Colleges
University of Hawai‘i
c/o Hakuoh University International Study Tour
2327 Dole St., Honolulu, HI 96822
Questions: Karen Hayashida, Community Colleges & International Director, (808) 956-3855 or email@example.com
Deborah K. Nakagawa
Executive Assistant to the Vice President for Community Colleges
University of Hawai'i Phone: (808) 956-0321
2327 Dole Street FAX: (808) 956-3763
Honolulu, Hawaii 96822 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org