Join us outside the LRC as we kick-off activities for
Monday, February 3, 10 am - 1 pm
Get excited! Get Global! Learn more about the opportunities out there!
In the Library: Vessels that Connected Japan and Hawaii, Weaving Tradition Around the World
In the LRC lobby: KCC in the World (World Map), Study Abroad Information, “Who is the Traveler?,” Study Abroad Wish-List
Abbreviation KeyLRC: Learning Resource CenterOSC: Once Stop Center PAC: Performing Arts Center F: Refreshments will be servedWeek One Events: Opening, Japanese Martial Arts, UHCC Study Abroad
- Feb 3 (M), 10:00 – 1:00 pm: Opening Event with live music. (outside LRC)
- Feb 5 (W), 12:00 – 1:30 pm: World Café: KCC students share their study abroad experiences (LRC 124B) F
- Feb 6 (Th), 10:00 – 4:00 pm: UHCC Study Abroad Programs and Scholarships Information Booth (LRC Lobby)
- Feb 7 (F), 10:00 – 11:00 am: Demonstration of Japanese Martial Arts, featuring Sword Master from Japan (PAC)
Week Two Events: Women’s Issues, Faculty-led Study Abroad
- Feb 10 (M), 9:00 – 1:00 pm: Red Flag Campaign: Make a flag to raise awareness about dating violence (LRC Lobby & Courtyard) 12:00 – 1:30 pm: Movie: “Half the Sky – Turning Oppressions into Opportunities for Women” followed by discussion. Professor Joyce Nakahara (LRC 124B) F
- Feb 12 (W), 9:00 – 1:00 pm: Red Flag Campaign: Learn about dating violence and promote the prevention of dating violence(LRC Lobby & Courtyard) 12:00 – 1:30 pm: World Café: Talk-story with past KCC participants in faculty-led study abroad programs, in Japan, Okinawa, New Zealand, and Easter Island! (LRC 124B) F
- Feb 14 (F), 1:00 – 3:00 pm: Healing Touch - Valentine’s Day Chair Massage (outside LRC from 1:00-2:00 and OSC from 2:00-3:00) 2:00 – 5:00 pm: 1 Billion Rising: International Flash Mob/Dance Worldwide to end violence against women and girls. Join, release, and dance; and enjoy International dance performances and various booths! (OSC)
Week Three Events: Indigenous Politics, Indigenizing Curriculum, Who is the Traveler?
- Feb 19 (W), 12:00 – 1:30 pm: World Café: Discover who the travelers are and listen to their intriguing stories. (LRC124B) F
- Feb 21 (F), 12:00 – 1:30 pm: KCC International Alumna Presentations: “Island Future – RE-viewing Struggles of Okinawa and Hawaii” by Megumi Chibana, Ph.d Candidate in Political Science, University of Hawaii, Manoa (LRC 124B) F
- Feb 21 (F), Time TBD: Ethnomathematics on a Worldwide Voyage: Culturally Responsive Curriculum to College, Career, and Community Readiness. Prof. Linda Furuto, College of Education, University of Hawaii at Manoa (Place TBD)
Week Four Events: Sustainability, Closing
- Feb 24 (M), 12:00 – 1:30 pm: Movie: “The Hungry Tide - A film about a Pacific nation on the front-line of climate change” followed by discussion (LRC 124B)
- Feb 26 (W), 12:00 – 1:30 pm: Closing Events: Hoʻike, Celebration, Awards with International Food (LRC 124 A & B) F
The International Awareness Month is made possible by the Honda International Opportunities Fund and will be brought to you by the International Education Committee with the support of a number of student volunteers and student clubs as well as faculty and staff.
Posted by Kyoko Ikeda
International Education Coordinator