The college sponsored four orientation sessions this summer, one each month beginning in May. Earlier sessions were small, less than 20, with this last session in Aug. filled to a maximum capacity of 90 students.
A total of 142 students attended New Student Orientation (NSO) this summer representing 66% of all incoming first-time freshman.
The theme of orientation was, "Driving Towards Student Success." We covered the following information within 3 hrs:
- Having a direction or goal in mind before setting off on a journey
- Knowing the rules of the road - "College Catalog" and Schedule of Classes
- Seeking assistance along the way: instructors, counselors, staff, tutors, or classmates
- Wise choices and learning styles, choosing to be an active -vs- passive learner
- Introduction to 3 Study Skills, reading (SQ3R), note-taking, and time management
- Campus Resources and Tour
- Student Life and Student Government
Thank you to everyone who participated in NSO! Evaluations were positive with a recurring suggestion to keep it shorter.
Financial Aid Counselor