What does a STEM Peer Mentor Do?
- Assists STEM or potential STEM students in understanding, adapting to and succeeding in STEM courses and degrees;
- Offers personal insights on college success based on experience and knowledge of Kauai CC;
- Shares information about resources and events at Kauai CC;
- Listens well and shares feedback and encouragement with mentees regularly;
- Attends training, as required; and
- Communicates with supervisor regarding the status of mentored students.
What is the location and schedule of a STEM Peer Mentor?
- Location: Kauai Community College;
- Duration of work: Fall 2014 semester with option to extend into Spring 2015;
- Number of Openings: 2;
- Pay rate: $10/hr.;
- Minimum Work Hours: 3hrs/week;
- Maximum Work Hours: 20hrs/week; and
- Work Schedule: Flexible, but generally weekdays between 7:30 a.m. and 5 p.m.
You are Eligible to Become a STEM Peer Mentor if you:
- Completed at least one year of studies in STEM disciplines at Kaua'i Community College with a GPA of at least 3.0;
- Are enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) for the semester;
- Are an enthusiastic student with good verbal and communication skills;
- Are familiar with the student perspective;
- Are dependable, honest, and punctual; and
- Respect confidentiality of peers.
How to apply to become a STEM Peer Mentor
- Log-in to SECE and apply for the STEM Peer Mentor posting, get a reference #; and
- Submit your résumé and reference # to KCC’s STEM Coordinator Andrea Erichsen, OSC 206-H, phone: 245-8378. She will contact you to schedule an interview!